OPTITEC is a leading French competitiveness cluster specialized on complex optics and imaging systems dedicated to space, aeronautics, defense, medical, food industry and green photonics applications. OPTITEC with 190 highly committed members represents more than 25% of French R&D in optics. The cluster developments are based on leading edge research centers and universities with world-renowned laboratories. The region has also a dense network of SMEs, most of them leaders in their market sector, start-ups originating as spin-offs from the proliferation of major regional corporations or laboratories. The industrial sector has a mean growth rate of 10% with 40% of their turn over based on export, and 15% dedicated to R&D. The strong research/industry/education synergy provides a solid base for maintaining an ongoing and constantly renewed pool of R&D projects. The food industry is one of the main sectors in the Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur region it represents €6 billion of turnover with more than 1,100 businesses. The link between Optics/Imaging and Food industry has given place to several developments from the companies of the cluster as the sterilization with light, sensors for food analysis, fruits sorting.
MISSION AND VISION
The mission of the association PoPsud, founded in 2000, is to organise and promote the optics-photonics sector in the south of France and to strengthen the synergy and partnerships between research, industry and higher education in this field.
To date, PoPsud represents a community of some 189 members, working in industrial development, research and higher education in optics, photonics and image processing in the Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur and Languedoc-Roussillon Regions. The main missions of POPsud and the OPTITEC Cluster are:
– Organising an optics-photonics community and offering members a range of tool and services tailored to their needs: conferences, trade fairs, trade missions, directories, business intelligence, networking support, and so on.
– Partnering and supporting a dynamic of innovative projects, in particular by awarding labels to joint R&D projects
– Developing structure-building projects, in particular based on technology platforms and pooled facilities
– Achieving a lead position at European level, by playing a role in European programmes and European collaborative projects
– Developing a strategy of focused alliances at international level
Optics and Photonics
Provence-Alpes-Côte-d’Azur and Languedoc-Roussillon Regions in France
38, rue Joliot Curie
France (Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur)
Below a declaration that OPTITEC is is an innovation cluster, offering or channeling cluster and network support services to businesses in compliance with the definition given in the section 1.3(s) on ‘innovation clusters’ in Annex I of the new “EU Framework for State Aid for Research and Development and Innovation”25